Proper Diet to Help Control Acne (avoid the following):
- Grilled, roasted, or B-B-Q meats on open fire. In 1976, Takashi Sugimura, manager of the national Cancer Research Institute of Japan, found that charred residues of fish or meat we eat everyday contain a carcinogenic (cancer-causing) substance. This carcinogenic substance causes a change in human gene DNA, and acts as trigger for its growth into cancer cells.
- Food or meat high in fat, especially animal fat. Examples: sausage, fatty ground meat, chocolate deserts or pastries high in fat, such as pecan pie, croissants and donuts.
- Fried foods
- Certain seafood: oyster, herring & shrimp.
- Food with preservatives. Examples: preserved meats which do not need refrigeration, such as sausages, (especially Summer Sausage), beef or pork jerky, hot dogs, bacon, deli meats.
- Iodized salt, if you eat seafood. It has been found that excessive iodine can aggravate acne condition. Most "junk foods" contain too much iodine because they are generally made with iodized salt.
- Tobacco use.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Junk Foods, especially the fried kind. Typically, they contain cottonseed oil, which is the cheapest oil on the market. Cotton is the most heavily sprayed cultivated plants with insecticides. Cotton seed oil must be detoxified before it is used for human consumption. It is uncertain how good a job manufacturers do to detoxify the cotton seed oil before it is sold. Toxins from cotton seed oil can cause toxicity in the liver and inhibits normal fatty acid metabolism. Examples: potato chips and corn chips.
- Fatty nuts, especially the roasted nuts. Examples: roasted peanuts or cashew nuts. Peanuts must be avoided because they often contain the carcinogenic compound aflatoxin, a toxic substance from some strains of fungi.
- Caffeinated beverages
- Excessive cheese and dairy products. Excessive cheese and dairy products are very mucous forming foods and may cause constipation. Milk protein allergy can be manifested as acne.
- Excessive concentrated sweets, especially if you are overweight. Examples: candies, sugar cookies.
Tip: Read labels to determine the nutritional values of foods. If you‚Äö√Ñ√¥re not sure of its contents or nutritional values, don't buy it.
Eat/Drink More Of The Following Foods:
- A variety of fruits and vegetables. Variety is important for you to get all the nutrients good for your body from whole food. Apples are one of the best fruits. Other than vitamins, they also contain plenty of pectin (a water soluble fiber), which helps to cleanse your intestinal tract, lower cholesterol level and improve your skin complexion.
- Whole grain foods such as whole grain cereals, whole wheat bread and brown rice.
- Soybean products such as tofu, and fresh soy protein fruit drinks.
- Seaweed (different kinds are usually available in Asian grocery stores)
- Mung beans (usually available in Asian grocery stores)
- Fish (especially fresh salt water fish)
- Natural spring water or tap water with additional filtration (6-8 glasses a day).
Cooking Oils In Order Of Preference:
- Olive oil
- Canola oil or flaxseed oil
- Sesame seed oil
Avoid: butter or lard, coconut oil, palm oil, corn oil and cotton seed oil, which is in most snack foods. Read ingredients on labels before you eat.
Cooking Methods In Order Of Preference:
- Raw (for suitable foods). Eat plenty of green salads and fruits. Cooking destroys a considerable amount of vitamins and enzymes in raw food, which help with digestion and metabolism of nutrients from food.
- Simmering or boiling in water
- Slow cooking such as in crockpot
- Baking or broiling
- Stir fry with small amount of oil.
- Roasting or grilling on an open fire.
- Deep-frying in any kind of fat or oil.